Monday, September 17, 2012

Grammar is key.

So, today in my Blogging class we had a lesson on run on sentences, sentence fragments, and grammatical errors related to that. Although this was quite remedial for me, I had some surprising results:

The Capital Community College Run On and Fragment quiz: 6 wrong and 4 right.
(I would enjoy discussing a couple of my answers if I had the opportunity, because I feel as if some of them were debatable- I'm most likely wrong.)

On the other hand we had the "Grammar Bytes- Chomp Chomp Quiz on Sentence Fragments which I scored perfectly on.
(Ironic? I think not... Quite possibly my dyslexia played some tricks on my eyes. I know the concept of this material very well, but I finish sentences for myself at times if there are a lot of repeating words because my eyes scramble them.)

For those of you who would enjoy an example of a run-on sentence and a sentence fragment simply read below:

Run-On Sentence example:
Last week I went to Children of Bodom's Blooddrunk tour where they headlined for Swallow the Sun, Enslaved, Morbid Angel and Blood of the Black owl; the show ended up being more than six hours, having a pit on almost the whole bottom level, and a triple encore, unfortunately though you had to be 21 for re-entry so I was unable to take a 'breather' between bands.
This is a really easy to accomplish error. Sometimes we'll have a large idea or long story to tell and we want to express it as quickly as we're able to think about it, but you still have to slow down and explain it properly or what you've expressed isn't as well articulated as you'd imagined in your head.


Sentence Fragment example:
Right on the other side of Kipling.
This is something you may say every day, and not even stop and think that it is a short, not proper (Although it is acceptable in a short verbal sharing of information.) to write response. This is easy to fix though, all you have to do it add a bit more information.
Example: The gas station is right on the other side of Kipling.
This is now a proper sentence.

1 comment:

  1. Phew... love it! I especially appreciate the ease of reading shorter paragraphs - even if they are ridiculously long run-on sentences.

    Your examples and explanations are dead on! Nice work. I believe perhaps the dyslexia played a part, although I believe there are NO correct answers when it comes to writing - we all have our own style. The issues come in to play with our readers and/or followers. If they can understand what we write and WHY we write it, we are golden.

    The joys of blogging. Blog on.... :O)

    ReplyDelete